Happy Valentine’s Day! The cheesiest holiday of the year, and somehow I still love it. The kid version though – with the decorated shoe boxes and Disney-themed Valentines cards. Okay, and bouquets of flowers, if you really want to get them for me.
Yesterday, in honor of Galentine’s Day, my roommates and I made dinner and dessert and watched You’ve Got Mail. I could go on about how much I adore Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks and what I would give to have a bookstore like The Shop Around the Corner, but I’ll spare you. Instead, I want to share the recipe we made for dinner. A simple recipe with quinoa and fresh vegetables and of course, feta cheese to top it off. So good.
Spicy Roasted Broccolini Quinoa Salad
- 1 bunch broccolini, stalks trimmed
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1-2 tbsp. crumbled goat cheese (we used feta)
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Cut broccolini into bite-sized pieces, about 1 1/2 inches
3. Place broccolini on a parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Squeeze the lemon over the raw broccolini and season with salt, pepper and the red pepper flakes. Toss to make sure each piece is coated.
4. Roast for 15 to 18 minutes in the pre-heated oven, until stalks are tender and the heads of the broccolini are just lightly browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
5. In a medium-sized pot, combine the quinoa and vegetable stock. Bring the liquid to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let the quinoa cook until all the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
6. Once the quinoa is fully cooked, fluff with a fork, and toss in the roasted broccolini, crumbled goat cheese and cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
We started off with rosemary olive bread and aged Apple Cheddar cheese we found at the Franklin Farmer’s Market from Kenny’s Farmhouse Cheese. We’re big on cheese and carbs in our house. Yes, I’m aware that was a poorly-phrased sentence.